domingo, 3 de mayo de 2009

day 5, gluing the hull





I glued the hull yesterday using a mixture of epoxy resin and wood powder from my dust extraction in the workshop. It takes a while, its sticky and the mask irritates me. But well, thats life if you want to make this kind of canoes.

This morning I took out the cable ties and the molds, and the hull kept its shape. (yahooo) As you can see on one of the photos, I found a way of "lifting" the the central part of the hull. Simple is often the best. I´m very happy with the shape. It looks very correct.

The canoe will be a 14,2" Selway Fisher Prospector. The plan is for a 15,8" so I have shortened all the panels in the central section.
I wanted a 14" canoe because its easyer to transport on top of a small car. and its easyer to move around as well. Its going to be used mainly by 2 personas and a small terrier. Total weight of 140kg. My girlfriend is from inland Spain and she knows nothing about water, boats and canoes, so the choice was a stable design. I was choosing between the 14" Raven, which I dont like to much, the 14" Peterborough which is very pretty but with a total of 14 planks also pretty advanced. Besides its a bit narrow and with a very sharp bow and stern. I´m sure its a delight to paddle, But I wanted something with a rounder bow and stern and a wider hull. Thats the reason I´m doing what I do. It looks like it will be some 4,35m long and 86cm wide.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario