jueves, 30 de abril de 2009

Day 3 Scarfjoints



I decided to join the planks using scarf joints. The reasons are that, if well done, they are stronger and also that I find them more attractive han butt or glassfibre joints. I hope to finish the canoe without any glassfibre in the inside (except the center joint) I´m also used to doing scarf joints. All the guitars that I build have 1 scarfjoint in the neck.
In order to do a good scarf joint, its important to have a good plane, but even more important that its very sharp and that you know how to use it. Planing in 45 degrees help a lot on plywood. Its a good idea to "glue" the two parts together with double stick tape. It helps controling a lot.
If you use a orbital sander in the end, use one which is well balanced. If not, you´ll end up with round joints.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario